Computing Infrastructure Refresh Project
The White Hart Hotel asked Nexus to audit their computer systems and produce a plan to help replace and virtualise an existing ageing server, upgrade the local area network to improve performance and install antivirus software to protect their business.
The White Hart Hotel is a traditional old posting house at the centre of the moorland town of Moretonhampstead set within the spectacular Dartmoor National Park in Devon. One of the oldest hotels on Dartmoor, the Hotel dates back to 1639 and this historic Grade II listed building is being sympathetically refurbished to provide all modern comforts within a traditional setting.
The management team at the Hotel approached Nexus to arrange an independent audit and assessment of their IT systems. Nexus engaged a Senior Account Manager and Systems Engineer to complete a full audit of the existing IT infrastructure and the business software used by the Hotel.
Nexus created an IT audit and recommendations report that identified the following key elements that could be improved to help the business be more efficient, improve system security and reduce IT management costs:
- Primary server running on an ageing HP ProLiant ML150 G5 hardware platform
- Average network performance from a single 3COM 100 Mb switch
- Antivirus protection could be improved through the deployment of a more integrated and centralised antivirus solution
The White Hart Hotel had recently procured a Dell PowerEdge T410 server, running Microsoft Small Business Server (SBS) 2011 Premium Edition. Nexus recommended that this server could take on the role of a primary server.
Nexus Systems Engineers were requested to plan and deliver a server migration project for the Hotel. The primary aim of the project was to decommission and virtualise the existing HP server, and move it to a new Microsoft Hyper-V host running alongside their existing Microsoft Small Business Server environment.
The secondary aim of the project was to install and configure a new Dell PowerConnect 2816 Gigabit switch to replace their 3Com 100 Mb switch, offering more manageability features and improved network performance.
Finally, Sophos Endpoint Protection for Business would be deployed and configured on all servers and PCs providing threat protection, firewall, web filtering, mobile device and application control, plus Microsoft Exchange email protection.
- Centralisation of server roles to a single Dell PowerEdge T410 server platform
- Reduction of power consumption, management overhead and potential hardware maintenance costs through the removal of an ageing HP server
- Improved network performance and management through the deployment of a Dell PowerConnect Gigabit switch
- Centralised endpoint, mobile, data, email and web security with Sophos Endpoint Protection for Business
All elements of this project were successfully delivered to meet the Hotel's budget, schedule and overall satisfaction. Nexus continues to provide technical support to The White Hart Hotel through the provision of Retain Technical Services (RTS), which provides the business with easy access to all of the skills and services supplied by Nexus, creating a smart outsourcing and facilities management solution.